Terms of Reference (ToR) for the production of animation video to create awareness on various forms of child abuse
Date of Publication: 31 July, 2023
SOS Children's Villages Nepal, a non-governmental social development organisation, supports children without parental care and families in difficult living conditions through services in care, education, health, and emergency relief. We advocate for the rights of children and young people, in alliance with a great diversity of partners. We offer a secure and friendly work environment and are committed to safeguarding the rights of the children by having zero tolerance policy in this regard. We are further committed to providing a safe environment for staff and children, young people and adults with whom we work, where human rights are respected and upheld, and healthy relations are fostered by building organisational systems, capacity, and awareness on our Child Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct.
Production of Animation Video to create awareness on various forms of child abuse
The main objective of this consultancy assignment is to produce an animation video for the purpose of raising awareness, sensitizing and educating different groups of audiences on various forms of child abuse, including physical, emotional, sexual, and neglect. Similarly, it seeks to encourage open dialogue and foster a collective responsibility towards protecting children from potential abuse and harm.
Other objectives are:
- To raise awareness about the various forms of child abuse, including physical, emotional, sexual, and neglect, and their impact on children’s lives.
- To educate the stakeholders by providing information on the signs of child abuse, the importance of reporting suspicions or incidents, and the available resources for victims and their families.
- To provide valuable information on recognizing and addressing potential signs of child abuse, along with parenting strategies that promote healthy development.
- To utilise storytelling techniques and real-life case studies to create empathy among viewers, enabling them to better understand the experiences and challenges faced by abused children.
- To highlight proactive measures that individuals, families, and communities can take to prevent child abuse and create safe environments for children to thrive.
3. Production process and deliverables:
- Identify the best animation video contents, format, length and the characters for the video of preferable length- 3-5 minutes in Nepali language with English subtitles.
- An animation Video of 3D type that covers the agreed contents and characters and meets the the format and the length.
4. Period for the completion of the task:
28th August 2023 – 20th October 2023
Strategic Interventions/ Process to meet the deliverables
- Inception meeting with the project team
- Discuss and brainstorm the concept of animation video [visual style (narration, music, plots) + contents + influential character + coverage areas/theme]
- Finalisation of the overall concept and plans
- A detail work plan on characters, key messaging ideas, contents, and quality of the video, length, and rationale for the identified tools)
- The developed process of Motion 3D animation should carry the following approval from the team:
- The script, Voice Over Recording (Script), Style Frame, Storyboard, and Animation
- Scripts/storyboard outline for approval before proceeding
- Package and delivery
- Final formats of 4 videos 1) HD version, 2) non-HD version, and 3) Web-ready version
- Archive package of all usable footage including production design files and B roll.
- Closing workshop (Organise by the project team with the consultant)- Virtually
- Identify dissemination platforms to reach out to the public
- Dissemination strategies/frequencies
- Further recommendations for the project team
- Develop the animation project that aligns with the brand narrative of SOS Children’s Villages
- Colours: Uses of SOS Children’s Villages’ Brand
- Specific styles: The soft learning sharing animation or visual style that can diffuse the message.
5. Reporting Line
The Consultant will work in close coordination with the National Child Safeguarding Focal Person and Communication Manager of SOS Children’s Villages Nepal.
6. Required Qualifications and Experience
The consultancy firm will be required to have:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in animation and normal video production, both in production and post-production for the development organisation and also for national and international standards.
- Extensive experience in Pre- Production, Production and Post- Production of Animation, documentaries on Child Protection and Child Safeguarding, Social Norms, GBVs, Audiovisual stories of change, etc.
- Must have a proven track record in all required areas of production (including scriptwriting, planning, cinematography, editing and mixing)
- Proven Knowledge in storytelling and producing documentaries for national, international and local development organisations, preferably on social norms or behavioural change
- Ability to innovate the concept and outstand the product among the competitive consumer market
- Well-equipped with updated software and hardware to ensure smooth and high-quality production
- Worked on the various thematic areas of Child Safeguarding and Child Protection
- Have worked for the productions that reflect positive effects on human life by using the arts, education, and knowledge transfer
7. Duration of Assignment
Expected start date of task is 28th August, 2023 and the expected date of completion is 20th October, 2023. The consultant will submit a detailed work plan schedule which will be approved by SOS Children’s Villages Nepal.
8. Remuneration and Payment Procedures
The consultancy firm’s payment will be based on the financial proposal developed for this consultancy.
Payment will be made upon the delivery of the details in below-mentioned proportions
- Detailed proposal with storyboard and work plan - 20%
- First draft video documents – 30%
- Final documents – 50%
9. Intellectual Property
The contract will be work for hire. Therefore, all planning and work products and all final outputs of this project will be the property of SOS Children’s Villages Nepal. Except for the purposes of this assignment, no information about the planning or production of the video may be disclosed or used by the consultant without the written permission of SOS Children’s Villages Nepal.
10. Logistics and Quality Assurance Procedures
- The production house is required to set out their approach to ensuring complete compliance with international good practice with regard to ethics and protocols, particularly with regard to safeguarding children, vulnerable groups, and those in fragile and conflict-affected states. Consideration should be given to:
- Administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the confidentiality of those participating in the News and Article related issues.
- DO NO HARM to any lingual, sex, culture or sovereignty with the content.
- Data protection and secure maintenance procedures for personal information.
11. Application Procedure
Interested consultancy firms are required to submit the following:
- Letter of interest
- A technical proposal that includes objectives and methods with a detailed timeline.
- At least two samples of previous productions in line with the technical and creative requirements of the project- Links to the YouTube or cloud-based platforms (Private or public link)
- Financial proposal indicating consultancy fee and a breakdown of expenses.
- Copy of company registration certificate
- Copy of PAN/VAT registration certificate
- Latest Tax Clearance Certificate FY 079/80
Interested and eligible Consultancy Firms are requested to submit their letter of interest along with required documents as mentioned-above to email ID: email@example.com no later than 15th August 2023.