|SOS CHILDREN'S VILLAGE NEPAL
||We seek your help making the lives of children bloom.
SOS Children's Village Nepal (SOS BALGRAM NEPAL)
Post Box: 757
|In the year 1968 Prof. Dr. Hermann Gmeiner accompanied by senior staff from SOS-Kinderdorf International visited Nepal to assess the situation of children in Nepal and explore the possibility of establishing a SOS Children's Village in the country. Dr. Hermann Gmeiner was not only impressed by the natural and cultural beauty of the country but was also deeply touched by the miserable plight of children in the streets of Kathmandu that led him work for the establishment of SOS Children's Village in this Himalayan country.
|Late Ms. Edith Pohl was then sent by Dr. Hermann Gmeiner as a representative of SOS Kinderdorf International to Nepal. Contacts were made with the Government authorities through Nepal Red Cross Society, one of the few Non Governmental Organizations working in the country at that time. With the special interest and permission of the Royal Family, land for the first SOS Children's Village was acquired and the construction began in the year 1970. The involvement of Royal Family was instrumental and integral in establishing the entire SOS Children's Village in Nepal afterwards.
|SOS Children's Village Nepal – The Organization
|SOS Children's Village of Nepal was registered with Social Welfare Council of Nepal government in 1986 and with the District Administration Office Bhaktapur in 1989 as NGO.
|A national executive committee was formed under the patronage of late Princess Principe Shah and headed by late Princess Sharda Shah. Dr. Hemang Dixit took over the chair after the death of HRH Princess Sharda Shah in the year 2001. Prof. Dr. Bishwa Keshar Maskey was elected as chairman in May 2009, after the retirement of Dr. Dixit.
| With the expansion of SOS Children's Village in different parts of the country, a need for co-ordinating the activity of these villages at the national level was felt. Thus, in the year 1983 the National Office was started within the SOS Children's Village Sanothimi, Bhaktapur. Later, in the year 1994 the National Office building was constructed within the premises of SOS Children's Village Sanothimi. Extension of a new building annex to the old National Office Building was completed in July 2005.
|Villages and Projects:
| The affiliated projects in the country making SOS Children's Village one of the leading Social organizations for the care of children in Nepal are:
SOS Youth Facility the home for SOS youths. It aims at helping the adolescents to choose a profession and to become independent in terms of employment. It supports the youths for their living, education, and health.
- SOS Children's Villages
- SOS Children's Village Sanothimi is the first SOS Children's Village in Nepal, a model for other SOS Children's Villages in the country. It is located on the eastern outskirts of the city of Kathmandu.
- SOS Children's Village Pokhara is the second SOS Children's Village, established to look after the Tibetan refugee children in Pokhara. It is located in the southern part of Pokhara valley.
- SOS Children's Village Gandaki was established to provide homes to children who had lost their parents in the devastating floods and landslides of 1977. This is the second major SOS Children's Village situated in Pokhara.
- SOS Children's Village Jorpati was built for the orphaned and abandoned handicapped children to assist them to lead dignified life and train them for rehabilitation. It is located in the north of the city of Kathmandu.
- SOS Children's Village Surkhet was established on the special request of the Government of Nepal. It is located in poor and rather remote part of Western Nepal.
- SOS Children's Village Itahari was built to bring home to those children who had lost their parents in the earthquake, in the year 1989. It is located in the eastern part of Nepal.
- SOS Children's Village Kavre is located in the east of Kathmandu valley.
- SOS Children's Village Bharatpur is the 8th SOS Children's Village situated in central part of the country, and is the birthday present from Mr. Helmut Kutin as a token of love to Nepalese children.
- SOS Children's Village Lumbini is the ninth SOS Children's Village in Nepal. It is located in the birth place of Lord Buddha, the western part of the country.
- SOS Youth Facilities:
- SOS Youth Facility Biratnagar: - For boys, it is located at Malaya Road in Biratnagar, in the eastern terai of Nepal and there is another building in the same city for the girls.
- SOS Youth Facility Gandaki:- Boys' Facility is located within the premises of SOS Children's Village Gandaki. Girls' Facility is functioning on a hired flat in Pokhara city.
- SOS Youth Facility Jorpati- supports the handicapped and disabled children for their living, education, training and health care. Boys' Facility is situated at Koteshwor but the Girls' Facility does not have the accommodation of its own; a flat has been rented in the center of Kathmandu city.
- SOS Youth Facility Kathmandu:- It is the first Youth Facility located at Koteshwor in Kathmandu is for the boys..Another building at Buddha Nagar in Kathmandu has been accommodated by the girls.
- SOS Youth Facility Kavre is the home for the youths of SOS Children’s Village Kavre.
- SOS Youth Facility Nepalgunj is the home for the youths from SOS Children's Village Surkhet, in the western part of Nepal. The Girls' Facility is also a Support Office responsible for the two Social Centres and one Medical Centre in Bardiya.
- SOS Youth Facility Pokhara (for CV) was combined with the Hostel of Vocational Training Centre Pokhara, at the beginning. It in the home to accommodate the youths from SOS CV Pokhara
- SOS Youth Facility Pokhara (for VTC) is the Hostel of Vocational Training Centre Pokhara. It provides accommodation for trainees those get training in welding, Turning, Electronics, Secretary, and Computers etc at the center
- SOS Hermann Gmeiner Schools:
- SOS Hermann Gmeiner School Sanothimi is running classes from Nursery to Grade XII. The School has only a science stream in Higher Secondary level. It is providing education to the students of SOS Children’s Village and local community. The medium of education is in English.
- SOS Herman Gmeiner School Gandaki runs classes from Nursery to Grade XII. It also provides various scholarships to the children of local community. The school is providing the Higher Education in the science stream. There are students from SOS Children’s Village and local community.
- SOS Herman Gmeiner School Pokhara is the first school established in Pokhara to provide better education to the children of Tibetan Refugees as well as to the children from the remote parts of the far western Nepal. The SOS Kindergarten and Primary section of the School are at Chhorepatan and the Higher Secondary School (with a hostel) is at Gharipatan; about ten minutes drive apart. The school has the students from the refugee camps and local community. It also offers boarding facilities to the students.
- SOS Herman Gmeiner School Surkhet offers the education program from class Nursery to Grade XII. This school has the students from nearby localities and SOS Children’s Village itself. Medium of Education is in English. It also provides various scholarship programs to the children of local communities.
- SOS Herman Gmeiner School Itahari truly a ray of hope for academic excellence in its locality. The school is running classes from Nursery to Grade XII. The students in the school are from SOS Children’s Village and local community. Medium of Education is English.
- SOS Herman Gmeiner Secondary School Kavre is running classes from Nursery to Grade XII. The students in the school are from SOS Children’s Village and local community. Medium of Education is English. It is doing very well in the education, co-curricular and sports activities.
- SOS Herman Gmeiner Secondary School Bharatpur is running classes from Nursery to Grade XII. The students in the school are from SOS Children’s Village and local community. Medium of Education is English. Even in a short period of time, it is doing well in the education, co-curricular and sports activities.
- SOS Vocational Training Centres:
- SOS Vocational Training Centre Pokhara provides vocational training to Tibetan Refugee's children living in Nepal. The center gives training on: Carpentry, Welding, Turning, Electronics, Secretary, and Computers.
- SOS Ceramic Training Workshop Sanothimi is within the premises of SOS Children's Village Sanothimi. The locals from nearby community are getting regular ceramic training on the pottery, kiln technology and glazing technology. Besides this, students from Herman Gmeiner School Sanothimi are taking ceramic hobby classes twice a week.
- SOS National Training Centre Kavre is also within the premises of SOS Children's Village Kavre. The training centre is well equipped with the modern facilities. It has also got its own guest rooms. The training centre basically provides training to the SOS mothers.
- SOS Medical Centre:
- SOS Medical centre Bardiya was established exclusively for providing basic and primary health care to the local people. It is located along the East – West Highway on Bardiya i.e. far western part of Nepal. The current services rendered to beneficiaries include free of cost health examination, availability of medicines at subsidized rate, pathology test, procedural treatment, preventive and promotional health services like immunization, re-hydration, ante-natal care, post natal care and family planning, and nutrition programme. This medical centre covers 7 Village Development Committees of Bardia District.
- SOS Social Centre:
- SOS Social Centre Surkhet is working as a Day car centre for the children from local community and for the women from the localities; it runs various programmes like Cutting, Knitting and weaving for their skill development. Medical facility is also provided for those people who could not afford medicine for their children. Local children and mothers receive medical assistance from this centre. Beside this, some children are receiving day care services from this centre.
- SOS Social Centre Itahari provides assistance for the skill development for the poor people (esp. women) from local community. It has been providing trainings on: Cutting / Sewing, Painting (fabric art), Knitting, Embroidery training to the local women. This centre also provides free of cost medical facility to local children and mothers. Beside this centre is providing day care services to the children from neighboring communities.
- SOS Social Centre Bansghari/ Bardiya is located on amidst the Tharu Villages in Bardiya district, this centre has been serving poor and backward community children and parents. The programmes run by this centre are day care centre and Off-school Literacy classes.
- SOS Social Centre Bhakari/ Bardiya is also one among the two of the social centres in Bardiya. It is also located on amidst the Tharu Village. The programmes run by this centre are same as that of SOS Social Centre Bansghari. Every month, local people get benefit from this centre.
- SOS Social Centre Sanothimi is basically focusing on the family strengthening program. Under this program, it provides scholarship to the children of widowed mothers and some financial assistance to the needy family for their food expenses.
- SOS Social Centre Gandaki offers Day Care, Primary Health Care and Skill Training for women. In the year 2003 some of the classrooms of Hermann Gmeiner School were converted into the day care rooms and skill training rooms for the social center.
- SOS Social Centre Bharatpur offers Day Care, Primary Health Care and Scholarship for needy children from the neighboring communities. Every year, around 250 children and women are received the services from this social center.
- SOS Social Centre Kavre is reaching out to needy children and women in the communities through an umbrella program called ‘Family Strengthening Program (FSP). SOS Kavre has started extending support for schooling, food, and clothing to the children from surroundings. Such children are normally from very poor and single parent background. Students in SOS Hermann Gmeiner School are provided full and partial scholarship through social center.